Today on his Birth Anniversary let’s know some interesting facts about Dadasaheb:
1. Original surname of family of Dadasaheb was Bhat, however his ancestors used to provide a unique dish of banana with special recipe called as ‘phalke’ to the ‘Peshwas’ and that’s the reason the family obtained surname Phalke. When he was born, he was named Dhundiraj due to his eyes.
2. Before film making, Dadasaheb was serving as a photographer in Archaeological Department of British and then ran printing business in partnership.
3. With passion of film making Dadasaheb was engaged in tremendous hard work which caused a situation that he was about to lose his eyesight.
4. Dadasaheb was inspired by the movie ‘Life of Christ’ and decided to make cinema and for that he had to sale all the things in house one by one.
5. Dadasaheb was very creative. In the movie ‘Shri Krishna Janma’ there is a scene that, after birth of Krishna his uncle King Kansa experiences hallucination that there is Krishna everywhere around him, the technique to show that used by Dadasaheb was not even known to foreign countries. British were surprised to watch that and offered him film making in London, but this patriot man refused it.
6. In the movie ‘Raja Harishchandra’ no lady was ready to work, so Dadasaheb went in the area of prostitutes. There a prostitute said, … “If you would marry my daughter, I will allow her to work in your cinema.” At last, he was constrained to bring a hotel waiter and make him work as a woman.
7. Dadasaheb was very disciplined. Once he got angry as cap was not fixed to an ink bottle in office and he just cancelled the shoot for the day. As well as once his driver came late to take him to shoot location; Dadasaheb went walking to the spot 6 miles away. Driver came after some time, but Dadasaheb did not step in to the car.
8. Dadasaheb did never believe in casts and religions. He used to have meal with all team members unitedly.
9. In his last movie ‘Gangavataran’, there were 17 songs and the cost of movie was 2.5 lacs. Dadasaheb watched the movie along with his son in law ShrikrishnaPusalkar by purchasing a ticket at box office in a queue.
10. In the passionate, historic and successful journey of Dadasaheb, his wife Saraswati Bai also has equally important contribution.